Spring 2019 Youth
A coached rowing program for youth to learn all aspects of the sport and prepare for competitive races. There’s a place on the team for everyone.
- 14 week program, runs from March 3 – June 7
- Coached practices at CCRA Indoors, on Lake Meahagh and the Hudson River at Cortlandt Waterfront. See info and download map with all locations.
- Learn the technique and terminology of rowing in different sizes of sleek, safe boats.
- Strength training.
- Water safety.
- A sport for everyone! If your strength is not in rowing, we will train you to lead rowers as a Coxswain, and develop your leadership skills.
Fee $350 per youth rower: includes coaching and 3-4 race fees. Spring Registration is now closed, but stay tuned for our upcoming Learn to Row program and summer registration.
- Mondays: 5-6:30pm when indoors, until 7:30pm when outdoors
- Tuesdays: 5-7pm, until 7:30pm when outdoors
- Wednesdays: 5-7pm, until 7:30pm when outdoors
- Thursday: 5-7pm, until 7:30pm when outdoors
- Sundays: 9:30am–Noon
Location is weather dependent, be on lookout for communications via email and text.
All team members must pass a swim test each year consisting of: Swim 50 meters, tread water for 10 minutes, put on a PFD (lifejacket) while in the water. This is for your safety.
Swim test is on Thursday afternoon, March 7, location and time TBD.
- Learn to row basic stroke, using Concept 2 Rowing Machines and on the water rowing
- View and discuss safety video
- Learn the parts of the boat and basic commands
- Tour CCRA’s Verplanck sites (see map)
- Learn safe entry and exit from boat
- Sweep and Scull rowing in different boat configurations
- Team drills to refine technical stroke skills
- Practice to become a competitive rower
- Attend local scholastic regattas as a team
REGISTRATION FORMS AND PAYMENT
Spring Registration is now closed, but stay tuned for our upcoming Learn to Row program and summer registration.
Questions? E-mail [email protected], or call Mrs. Dina Tompkins at (914) 589-9112