2021 Summer Masters
CORTLANDT ROWING SUMMER MASTERS PROGRAM
Whether you have never picked up an oar, or rowed in high school or college, we welcome all masters (adults ages 18 and up) into the Summer Masters Program.
- The summer session (8 weeks) runs from June 27 – August 22 (no practice on July 4).
- CCRA is unlike any other rowing club, in that we have two on-water locations to row at: Lake Meahagh, and the Hudson River. Click here for info on all CCRA locations.
- Coached sessions will focus mainly on team boat rowing (4 or 8 rowers plus coxswain), although there will be limited opportunities to learn/improve your technique in smaller, 1 or 2 person sculling boats.
- For adults brand new to rowing (novices):
- You will have weekly coached sessions geared for beginning (novice) rowers.
- You will learn the basic rowing stroke on a rowing machine (erg) prior to your first on-water experience.
- You will learn how to row on the water at Lake Meahagh, a shallow and protected lake: a perfect place to learn!
- For experienced rowers (coach approval required):
- Coached practices will take place weekly on either on Lake Meahagh or on the Hudson River, depending on weather conditions.
- For those who have demonstrated proficiency, you will have opportunities to improve and perfect your skills with access to all size boats.
- Although covid has forced cancellation of many summer regattas, we are looking to host at least one scrimmage with a local club at the lake.
- We are looking to expand coxswain rotation, so please be open to learning a new skill!
CCRA is committed to the health and safety of our rowers and staff. We will be following the recommendations of local authorities and US Rowing regarding COVID-19 concerns and conform to social distancing guidelines. All rowers must read and agree to adhere to CCRA’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures.
- Novice (beginner) rowers, including some who were in the Spring, 2021 group: $200 per rower.
- Experienced rowers: $275 per rower.
- College Students: $100 per rower.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Summer registration deadline is June 25!
1. Coached on-water practices: ALL masters will practice:
Our professional coaches will teach ALL masters at these sessions, breaking up into two groups of beginner (novice) rowers, and experienced rowers. This program is designed to be a sweep program, so most rowers will be in team boats (8 or 4 rowers, plus coxswain). Practices will take place rain or shine, unless there is a safety concern. Be on the lookout for communications via the SportsYou app for last-minute updates; and for experienced masters: location (lake or river). In the event of a bad weather forecast, practice will be cancelled, and will be announced on SportsYou.
2. Weekly on-water informal rows:
Led by experienced, approved masters rowers, on Lake Meahagh only. Novice rowers are not eligible for these sessions. Sculling is possible if the number of rowers attending that day allows for it.
- Mondays: 7:30-9:30 am
- Saturdays: 7:00-9:00am
3. Independent on-water non-coached rows:
Arranged on participant basis for highly experienced rowers only:
- ‘Approved’ rowers that have passed a safety/proficiency test given by the head coach may sign up to row any size boat (singles up to coxed 8’s) on Lake Meahagh at their convenience, as long as other practice sessions are not in-session. These ‘approved’ rowers must ‘buddy up’ with at least one other approved or experienced rower (no novices allowed) at all times. Strict adherence to CCRA Independent on-water rules, CCRA’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, and Lake Meahagh’s traffic pattern is required.
4. Independent erging/weight training at our indoor location
- All summer rowers will have access to our indoor facility (ergs and weight equipment), arranged on participant basis, following CCRA’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, including:
- two people maximum in the CCRA’s second floor space at any time.
5. Independent Zoom erg sessions with a buddy
- All summer rowers will have access to the CCRA Masters Zoom meeting ID, so they can erg remotely with their CCRA buddies at their convenience
RACING at REGATTAS
Due to COVID-19 concerns, most summer regattas have been cancelled. However, we are hopeful that we can host or attend at least one scrimmage this summer. And now is a great time to work on your technique and endurance, in preparation for the fall head race season!
SWIM TEST AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
All Masters rowers must sign a waiver stating that they can comfortably complete the following swim test: Swim 50 meters, tread water for 10 minutes, put on a PFD (lifejacket) while treading water. This is for your safety, and the safety of your fellow rowers and coaches.
All Masters must abide by CCRA Safety requirements, and watch the US Rowing Safety video at least once a year. See the Safety Requirements page.
- Our coaches use the SportsYou App to communicate quickly regarding any updates needed for practices including important change in plans due to weather. Please download and register on the SportsYou App. All registered Masters will receive an invitation to join the CCRA Masters SportsYou ‘team’.
- Join our Masters Facebook Community by clicking here and requesting to “Join”.
- Please follow Cortlandt Rowing on Facebook and Instagram. The number of followers counts when we want to show how quickly our club is growing here in our local communities!
REGISTRATION FORMS AND PAYMENT
Questions? E-mail [email protected], or call Mrs. Dina Tompkins at (914) 589-9112