2021 Spring Little Vikings
A coached rowing program for 4th–6th grade youth to learn the basics of the sport of rowing. There’s a place on the team for everyone. Rowing is a sport for everyone! Develops teamwork, fitness, coordination and leadership skills.
CCRA is committed to the health and safety of our rowers and staff. We will be following the recommendations of local authorities and US Rowing regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our spring program will be entirely outdoors, using small boats only (singles), to reduce the possibility of virus spread, and conform to social distancing and masking guidelines. All rowers and families must read and agree to adhere to CCRA’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Coaches and rowers will wear masks at all times as of now. Please answer the survey question regarding masking in the registration session.
- The Spring Little Vikings session is an 8-week program:
- 8 Sundays at Lake Meahagh from 12:30-2:30pm, except for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day weekends when we will have practice on Saturday instead (5/8 and 6/20). There is also no practice the weekend of 5/22-5/23 when CCRA Youth rowers and coaches will be in Saratoga for NY State Championships.
- Coached practices at our outdoor location at Lake Meahagh Park and on Lake Meahagh. See info and download map.
- Little Vikings will rotate in small groups through stations on land and on the water or at the dock with coaches/volunteers. Little Vikings will get a chance to go out in a single boat if they feel comfortable. They will be wearing life-preservers.
Fee $125 per youth rower. Registration Link below.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is limited to 12 slots!! Registration will be closed when 12 slots are filled. Deadline is May 6!
If raining heavily or windy, the session will be rescheduled.
- Saturday (Mother’s Day weekend): 5/8 12:30pm-2:30pm
- Sunday: 5/16; 5/30; 6/6; 6/13; 7/4: 12:30-2:30pm
- Saturday 6/19 (Father’s Day weekend): 12:30-2:30pm
- Sunday: 6/27 12:30-2:30pm
- Sunday: 7/4 12:30-2:30pm
Please arrive promptly for our COVID screening and check-in. Temperatures will be taken thermally.
- Our coaches use the SportsYou App to communicate quickly regarding any updates needed for practices including important change in plans due to weather. Please download and register on the SportsYou App. All new registered rowers will receive an invitation to join the ‘Little Vikings’ team before the first practice session.
- Please follow Cortlandt Rowing on Facebook and Instagram. The number of followers counts when we want to show how quickly our club is growing here in our local communities!
SWIM TEST For rowers that have successfully passed a CCRA swim test in the past, parents/guardians must sign a waiver stating that their rower can comfortably perform: Swim 50 meters, tread water for 10 minutes, put on a PFD (lifejacket) while in the water.
For new rowers, location and time for a swim test (testing the skills listed above) is TBA.
- Learn to row basic stroke, using Concept 2 Rowing Machines, sitting in the boats at the dock to practice putting the oar through the water, and rowing in a recreational single boat on Lake Meahagh if the rower is comfortable
- Learn the parts of the boat and basic commands
- Learn safe entry and exit from boat
- Instructional videos for watching at home will be sent
Questions? E-mail [email protected], or call Mrs. Dina Tompkins at (914) 589-9112 REGISTRATION FORMS AND PAYMENT
- Rights of Individuals
- You must be a current member of US Rowing in order to participate in CCRA activities. You can join at different levels. If you spring for the Championship level, your rower will receive a wonderful USRowing Magazine in the mail every month with great pictures and stories about the sport of rowing! See USRowing registration instructions here.
- Payment can be made during online registration via PayPay ($2.00 fee). Or send a check payable to CCRA, and mail to: Cortlandt Community Rowing Association, PO Box 530, Verplanck, NY 10596. Please do not hand a check to any of our coaches.