2019 Summer Masters
CORTLANDT ROWING SUMMER MASTERS PROGRAM
Whether you have never picked up an oar, or rowed in high school or college, we welcome all masters (adults ages 21 and up) into the Summer Masters Program. For those who are new to rowing, you will learn to row the basic stroke, using Concept 2 Rowing Machines and on the water rowing. Opportunities to compete in regattas will be made available for experienced rowers. Those who opt to sign up for regattas should be willing to commit to a consistent training schedule, be willing to accept coach’s feedback and be ready to support and compete with your teammates.
- The summer session runs from July 1 – September 1
- Coached and non-coached practices at CCRA Indoors, on Lake Meahagh and on the Hudson River at Cortlandt Waterfront Park. Click here for a map of all CCRA locations.
- May attend any Row 2 Music session free of charge.
- For adults new to rowing: You must register within two weeks of the program start, or wait until the Fall season. We strongly encourage participation in at least three Row 2 Music classes prior to your first on-water experience.
- For experienced rowers new to CCRA: Coach approval required if you desire to join mid-season. Contact Dina at [email protected] for details.
- For returning rowers: Please register within two weeks of the program start.
Program Fee: $240 per rower.
Coached practice weekly:
Coached weekly practices (on-water when weather is favorable, indoors otherwise):
- Sunday: 7:00am–9:30am
- Tuesday: 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Note: No coached practices Aug 11 – Aug 31
Weekly informal rows led by experienced, approved masters rowers (on-water when weather is favorable, indoors optional otherwise):
- Saturday: 8:00am–9:30am
- Friday: 6:00-7:30pm
Additional independent non-coached rows are arranged on participant basis:
- Rowers may erg on their own or with a buddy at a time of their convenience at CCRA Indoors at 137 7th Street, Verplanck. Please see the Masters Independent Practices page for instructions and signup.
- Rowers that have passed a safety/proficiency test given by the head coach may sign up to row on Lake Meahagh (with other approved rowers) at their convenience. Strict adherence to CCRA on-water rules and Lake Meahagh’s traffic pattern is required.
RACING at REGATTAS
CCRA Masters aims to compete in several local and regional regattas throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. Races and events will be selected by the head coach based on the competitive potential of the crew and the attitude, attendance, and performance of the individuals throughout the season. Masters opting to race must review and agree to the regatta registration procedures and policies of the club. Regatta fees (seat fee and shared travel expense) are additional.
Regatta schedule can be found on the Events and Races Calendar page.
- Regattas scheduled for the summer:
- Carnegie Lake Regatta, Saturday, July 13. This is a fun, masters-only, sprint regatta. We are hoping to get a great CCRA turnout for this race!
SWIM TEST AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
All Masters team members must sign a waiver OR pass a swim test each year consisting of: Swim 50 meters, tread water for 10 minutes, put on a PFD (lifejacket) while in the water. This is for your safety. Send email to Dina at [email protected] to arrange to take a swim test.
All Masters must abide by CCRA Safety requirements and watch the US Rowing Safety video. See the Safety Requirements page.
Coach Steve is offering private and semi-private lessons on Saturday mornings in July. Please email [email protected] for more details.
REGISTRATION FORMS AND PAYMENT
- You must be a current member of US Rowing in order to participate in CCRA activities. Follow registration instructions here.
- CCRA swimming certification Required once per calendar year. Print, sign and bring to first practice or download, sign and email to Dina at [email protected]
- Rights_of_Individuals Required once per calendar year. Print, sign and bring to first practice or download, sign and email to Dina at [email protected].
- Click here to go to the Summer Masters online registration and payment page.
- Payment can be made during online registration via PayPay ($5 fee). Or send a check payable to CCRA, and mail to: Cortlandt Community Rowing Association, PO Box 530, Verplanck, NY 10596.
- Also, join our Masters Facebook Community by clicking here and requesting to “Join”.
Questions? E-mail [email protected], or call Mrs. Dina Tompkins at (914) 589-9112