2019 Fall Youth
A coached rowing program for youth to learn all aspects of the sport and prepare for competitive races. There’s a place on the team for everyone.
- 8 week program, runs from September 9 – November 3
- Coached practices at CCRA Indoors, on Lake Meahagh and the Hudson River at Cortlandt Waterfront. See info and download map with all locations.
- Learn the technique and terminology of rowing in different sizes of sleek, safe boats.
- Water safety.
- Strength training.
- A sport for everyone! If your strength is not in rowing, we will train you to lead rowers as a Coxswain, and develop your leadership skills.
Fee $375 per youth rower: includes coaching and one three race fees.
Four weekly practices (weekday times to be adjusted as day length shortens):
- Mondays: 5-6:30pm
- Tuesdays: 5-7:30pm
- Thursdays: 5-7:30pm
- Sundays: 9:30am–Noon
Location is weather dependent, be on lookout for communications via the SportsYou app or text. Our three locations are here.
All team members must pass a swim test each year consisting of: Swim 50 meters, tread water for 10 minutes, put on a PFD (lifejacket) while in the water. This is for your safety.
Location and time for swim test for new rowers only is TBA.
- Learn to row basic stroke, using Concept 2 Rowing Machines and on the water rowing
- View and discuss safety video
- Learn the parts of the boat and basic commands
- Tour CCRA’s Verplanck sites (see map)
- Learn safe entry and exit from boat
- Sweep and Scull rowing in different boat configurations
- Team drills to refine technical stroke skills
- Practice to become a competitive rower
- Attend regattas as a team
CCRA competes in several local and regional regattas throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons. Races and events will be selected by the head coach based on the competitive potential of the crew and the attitude, attendance, and performance of the individuals throughout the season.
This fall, we will be racing in three regattas:
REGISTRATION FORMS AND PAYMENT
- Rights of Individuals
- You must be a current member of US Rowing in order to participate in CCRA activities. See USRowing registration instructions here.
- Click here to go to the online registration and payment page.
- Payment can be made during online registration via PayPay ($10 fee). Or send a check payable to CCRA, and mail to: Cortlandt Community Rowing Association, PO Box 530, Verplanck, NY 10596.
Rowers must register within 2 weeks of the start of the season. Otherwise, you must wait until the start of the next season.
Questions? E-mail [email protected], or call Mrs. Dina Tompkins at (914) 589-9112